The Kevin Newsome saga at Penn State is over.
A year after entering preseason practice as the favorite to claim the starting quarterback job for the Nittany Lions, the junior has left the program, according to team sources. He never started a game for the Nittany Lions after ultimately being relegated to the third and even fourth team in 2010.
On his Twitter account, Newsome said, Hmmm...What is New gonna do now?? Hmmm
Newsome did not travel with the team to the Outback Bowl last December while pondering a transfer. But he returned for the spring semester and participated in spring drills. Even as he was doing this, however, head coach Joe Paterno had already indicated that the starting job in 2011 would likely go to one of the '10 regulars -- Matt McGloin or Rob Bolden.
Newsome attended summer school at Penn State but did not participate in the Lift for Life Challenge in early July.
At Big Ten Media Days in Chicago late last month, Paterno was asked if Newsome was in the mix for the starting quarterback job and said, No.
Asked to expand on that answer, Paterno indicated there were off-the-field issues, but was not specific. It's tough to change lifestyle sometime, he said.
Thursday marks the first day of preseason practice for the Nittany Lions.
It is not clear where Newsome will land. He has a redshirt year available.
In two seasons at Penn State, the former prep All-American from Portsmouth, Va., completed 14 of 24 passes for 144 yards, no touchdowns and no interceptions. He also carried 33 times for 161 yards and two TDs.
Newsome was the primary backup to starter Daryll Clark in 2009. In 2010, he alternated between the third and fourth teams with walk-on Shane McGregor.
McGregor is now the clear third-teamer. Sophomore Paul Jones is unlikely to play in 2011 while getting his academic house in order.